The coverage on the death of Naguib Mahfouz continues, ranging far and wide, as befits this towering figure. A sampling of the coverage out there:
* The New York Times
* The Scotsman
* The Daily Star (Lebanon)
* The Jerusalem Post
* Voice of America
* NPR (Morning Edition)
* Radio Free Europe
* Middle East Online
* Islam Online
* FOX News
For additional resources, especially if you're just becoming familiar with Mahfouz, you might find these sites useful:
* A biographical sketch (not yet updated to note his passing).
* His Nobel Prize page, which includes a link to his lecture.
* Cornell University's Mahfouz page.
* Edward Said on Mahfouz - The Cruelty of Memory.
* His Random House page.
* The Complete Review on The Cairo Trilogy
* His Paris Review interview
* An excerpt from Rhadopis of Nubia
* An excerpt from Voices from the Other World: Ancient Egyptian Tales
* Information about "Mahfouz", a 25-minute composition featuring Tom Waits reading.
* Finally, one of the things were struck by is how the obituaries recount his last years, spent writing during the day and arguing with friends in cafes at night. Here's a photo of him at one of his cafes.